Friday, September 21, 2012

"....Because He Loved the Sky...." - Brenda Ueland



A book I go back to over and over again for support and inspiration is called, "If You Want to Write" by Brenda Ueland.  I think the title could be, "If You Want to Create Art of any kind."  I just substitute the word 'write' for 'art' when I read this book.  Here is a passage from this book:
The author writes......
".......the moment I read Van Gogh's letter I knew what art was, and the creative impulse. It is a feeling of love and enthusiasm for something, and in a direct, simple, passionate and true way, you try to show this beauty in things to others, by drawing it. And Van Gogh's little drawing on the cheap note paper was a work of art because he loved the sky and the frail lamppost against it so seriously that he made the drawing with the most exquisite conscientiousness and care. ”
- Brenda Ueland (from If Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit)

Perhaps anytime we do something from a place of love we are contributing 'art' to this fragile home we call earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment