Monday, May 7, 2012

Those Who Dwell Among the Beauties and Mysteries of the Earth Are Never Alone or Weary of Life - Rachel Carson

This is an art quilt I just finished.  It was inspired by a Saw Whet Owl.  These are very small owls (about the size of an American robin) who come out at dusk to hunt where I live.  They are frequently on the ground along side of the road waiting for mice to come out.  Driving home one evening recently, I came upon one of these amazing little beings waiting in the middle of the road.  I pulled over to encourage this owl to leave the middle of the road but s/he was so intent on hunting that I got right up to it before it flew off.  I am grateful for the encounter.

One of the things I have learned over the years is to pick my teachers, to the best of my ability, from my experience of what I feel their art 'transmits'.  I look for teachers who transmit, love, joy, depthfulness and heart.  The teacher I have learned about sewing, quilting and cloth from (and am still taking classes with her) is Jude Hill .  If you are interested in learning about working with cloth from a Master I highly recommend taking one or more of her classes.

1 comment:

  1. oh, such a sweet and tender piece. and tender words as well, how nice! thank you....

    ReplyDelete